Sunday, January 20, 2013

Tutorials

This week I had my first real tutorial, complete with paper and one-on-one discussion as well as a preterm meeting with my Crusades tutor.

The real tutorial, my Cold War one, went well. The tutor did not seem either impressed or disappointed with my work, which I will happily take. She is a very nice lady who is understanding of the fact that I have never studied these topics before this week. I think I am getting quite a bit of grace from her and I am so grateful for that. She is also wicked smart and knows something about everything, making me feel like an idiot. It is a privilege to be learning from her and I believe I will come home with solid understanding of my topics.

My preterm meeting went rather less well. I meant to leave at 8:00 for the 9:00 meeting as I had never been to this location and I wanted to leave time for getting lost. But apparently didn't set my alarm, so I woke up at 8:30, rushed out the door by 8:35, and miraculously found Jesus College by 8:55. However, by now I was so flustered that I had trouble completing sentences and was generally feeling inarticulate. So, anyway, I meet my tutor and he leads me into a 17th century library that is grougeous. I just wanted to stay for hours. He proceeds to inform me that being in Oxford is a privilegde, and he is going to tear my papers apart in order to help me become a better scholar. Ha. Ha. Not intimidating at all...

So those were my tutorials. Both will teach me a lot, and both tutors are incredibly skilled. Academically, I couldn't be in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment