Sunday, January 13, 2013

London

London is an amazing city. The area I wandered around in was easy to navigate and pedestrian friendly. Every street seemed to have a combination between fashionable newness and functional history. I could have spend days there, and I am desperately hoping to take more day-trips as well as spend some time there with my family.

Where did I go? Well, not the places an American tourist is supposed to go upon arrival at London. I chose to spend the day with a friend exploring the British Museum, and then shopping down Oxford Street and munching in Soho rather than follow the mob of Americans through the more exciting bits of London. So no classic pictures of the tower bridge or Buckingham Palace.

But! What I did was better, just sayin'. Honestly, all of you need to go to the British Museum at some point. I thought it would be like the Smithsonian - impressive, but not overwhelming. Was I ever wrong... It is one of the most gorgeous places I have ever been with each corner causally adorned with a piece of irreplaceable history. It was spectacular - just look at these rooms! My pictures in no way do them justice.




 But, of course, the rooms are just the stage for the history to be presented. These are a couple of my favorite things I saw:

Early time-telling devices. Yes, there was a room for clocks.

My first sighting of a real wampum belt. Some of you will find this highly amusing.

This is a gigantic structure that is just casually sitting in the middle of a room. The British just took it, and then put it in their museum. They apparently used to really like stealing things - which is beneficial for me because now they are all in this wonderful museum.
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of our wanderings in the shopping district of London, but it was a lot of fun. I learned that, as an American, I am completely unfashionable by European standards. To which I roll my eyes and reply that I am more comfortable and warmer. However, I promptly shelved my bootcut jeans and will attempt to wear skinny skins or skirts for the rest of the term.

That was my first day in London and it was wonderful. To end the day, my friend and I enjoyed another afternoon tea (I am getting rapidly spoiled... I could spend all my money on afternoon teas). This time we had a Belgian waffle with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It was perfectly lovely. 




No comments:

Post a Comment