Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Oxford!

I’m going to Oxford today! Normally I would provide an count of the hours left until I land, but with an eight hour time difference, I am finding the math rather challenging.
Anyway, in spring semester freshman year, I sat on my bed exploring different study abroad programs as an interesting opportunity in college. I figured I probably wouldn’t go, since political science/history majors don’t have many different options and I wasn’t positive I wanted to be out of the country.
Then I came across the page to study history at Oxford and I immediately decided I wanted to go. Now, most of you know that I tend to think over decisions for months before I make them, but not this one. I have been set on Oxford for the past two years.
The application process took a while, but I won’t bore you with details about that. Just know that it took a year and a half before I knew whether I was going. In college time, that’s practically forever.
But now I’m finally going! I’ve packed and repacked my two suitcases (and a backpack) four times, checked that I do indeed have my passport in a safe location, and printed all of the necessary forms I need in case of emergency. As far as I can tell, everything is ready for my departure. Except my nerves, but they are always a little upset before a big adventure.
A few details: I’m using this blog to write up some of my adventures. Many of them will be short, and if you want to see pictures, go to my roommate’s blog, How I See It (http://katiebeth-katie.blogspot.com/). She has a nice camera, while I have a tiny one that often has problems focusing, so checking her blog will give you much better photos. And if anyone has any advice for me or places that they loved in England, please tell me. I’m always looking for first hand accounts of what works and what is worth doing.

2 comments:

  1. Jessie!!! I will miss you!! But I am also looking forward to hearing about and sharing in your adventures. I love you lots! Blessings!

    Go with God.
    Mon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun Jessie! I went to London/Ireland in 2007- so much fun! Make sure to check out the London Eye, the Tower of London, and ride a double-decker bus! Also, pizza hut's desserts are crazy good over there (I had cheesecake :p). Oh! And watch for the statues on top of the buildings.. they show up in the most random of places. London Dungeon was also pretty neat, but also gross and somewhat frightening. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete