Friday, April 18, 2014

Faces

I used to think that wearing makeup was a form of lying. Not particularly wrong, just hiding the truth and concealing who I am behind a mask. Well, that and I was too lazy, cheap, and insecure to actually learn how to apply it. Beyond that, I wanted people to accept me for myself, not for my appearance. Putting honesty above social norms was a source of pride for me in many ways, of which makeup was only one.

Now I see the value in putting on my "face" in the morning. Of having a personality for interacting with people and for work. There are boxes in my life instead of striving for simple honesty. Lying doesn't bother me nearly as much since I learned to see the grey in truth-telling.

This knowledge allows me to fit in and makes me happier. Some days I wonder if it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment