Monday, August 11, 2014

"All You Need is Jesus"

Robin Williams died today. He committed suicide. So many people laughed at his movies, but in the end, I guess it wasn't enough. Makes me want to cry.

In reaction to this, some Christians look at Williams' life, shake their heads, and say "all he needed was Jesus, then he wouldn't have been depressed." To them, it's a non-issue with a single solution: know God and you will have all of the joy you need. Because no Christian would ever lose the hope Jesus gave them, after all, depression is simply an emotion, right?

But depression is not only an emotional reaction to our surroundings, it's also a biological issue, treatable with drugs and therapy. It is a problem, not an easily dismissed figment of some disturbed mind. People suffering from depression need support and help, just as any of us would if we contracted a disease. As Williams just proved, depression can kill. It is not a non-issue.

I admit, I've never been diagnosed with chronic depression, but I do have anxiety and take medication for it. Since I started taking it, my life has improved drastically. Yes, in my case medication was not the sole factor in helping me overcome anxiety, but it helps a lot more than I had hoped. Is it a placebo effect? Maybe, who knows. I personally don't care. The fact that it helps tells me that I needed a boost to get out of the hole my anxiety created and start looking at the world around me.

As far as I can tell, depression is like this as well. Yes, praying and having a relationship with God is theoretically the best medicine, but would you treat a disease solely with prayer? No. Would you tell a friend going those the loss of a loved one simply to know Jesus more? No. So don't treat depression like a simple little issue that can be wiped away by "knowing Jesus." Life is so much more complex, as much as Christians would like God to fix everything.

That might not have sounded like a rant to you, but guys, I'm pissed off by anyone who insults depression by shoving it off. People are hurting and we are the church - love others, don't demean their problems. Listen. Help. Leave judgment to God. Just because you personally have not experienced a sadness so deep that you can't walk away does not mean to dismiss the problem.

I've had extroverts do the same thing to my anxiety. It affects my faith to this day. Sometimes we need to listen instead of fixing problems.

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Jessie. I've struggled with depression AND loved Jesus for decades. He is enough and He gives the gifts of counselors and medication to help.

    ReplyDelete