Friday, September 12, 2014

In Christ Alone

Christianity isn't the Bible.

It's not the church.

Or the saints.

The stories, songs, missions, creeds, traditions, buildings. They are a part, but not the whole.

Funny thing is, that's all I ever learned about. When in reality, Christianity is about being like Christ. Not determining set rules for how everyone should be like him. Not focusing on not sinning. Not arguing with each other.

Christ loved others. If I could do anything in my life, that's what I would want to do. I hate to admit it, since so much harm has been done while attempting to be Christlike.

Still, a religion that tries to be just as loving and kind and strong as he was, that I can get behind.

A religion that emphasizes sin above all else. A religion that loves it's book more than it's God. Not so much.

Maybe I can learn to be a Christian my own way, preserving traditions while understanding them in the spirit they were meant instead of the literal words I see in front of me.

I hope so.

Because the world needs Christlike people. I'm not sure it needs more Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment