Monday, December 9, 2013

"Favourite"

I spell a few things "wrong," most prominently the word "favourite." Some people probably think it's because I'm showing, others that I'm trying to be cool in some way. But the reality is that I left a part of my heart in England. I miss the cobble stones, the sense of age, the tea, the accents, the grocery stores, the chocolate, the churches, the international feeling, the libraries, the academic rigor, my roommate, my walking buddy. I just want to go back and spend a few days there with everyone. But I can't. And I also know that there are people here who missed me and that constantly talking about how much I loved England is inappropriate.

So, instead, I add a "u" to certain words. It's a way of honouring my experiences without living in the past. It's a little thing, but every time I tell someone about my favourite colour, it makes me smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment