Sunday, December 8, 2013

A Beautiful Mind

Yesterday I saw A Beautiful Mind for the first time. It's the first movie in my life that has made me cry. It wasn't John's goodbye to his invisible friends (my favourite characters) or when his wife chooses to stay with him or when he gets the Nobel Prize. Those are all lovely moments, but the part that made me want to bawl was when John gets those pens from his peers. The recognition of his ability to function through incredible odds and his determination is just so rare and wonderful.

It made me think of all the parents, sisters, brothers, wives, and children who suffer from similar diseases, but without the acknowledgement of their work. Even if it's "just" depression, ADD, anxiety, or one of the higher functioning mental illnesses, how often does anyone praise the hard work it takes to get out of bed? How many people struggle through this alone? How many have we forgotten and neglected because they don't met society's standards for successful?

I don't know what it's like to live with autism or schizophrenia or chronic depression, but from the stories I've been told, it can feel as if you are walking through hell. Please take the time to recognize that. Don't just tolerate those who are struggling - honor them. Because overcoming those odds, no matter how small the battle, deserves our praise.

1 comment: