Friday, May 17, 2013

Permanence

I've done a lot of unpacking this year and I seem to have gotten it all down to a reasonable amount of stuff. Ok, ok, my room at home is a rat's nest, but the pile that goes places is moderately organized. Basically, I choose kitchen supplies and bedding on the assumption that I have to pack them up at least once a year, if not more. This bothers me. Like many college students, I don't own a set of non-plastic dishes, a collection of spices, or more than 3 pots. I feel this need to settle down, if only so I could have a place to store all these things.

Leaving aside the fact that I equate settling down with the number of pots I possess, I'm noticing more and more that I am putting things on hold until I find a permanent place. Getting a kitchen set is a good example, but also included are finding a home church, volunteering in the community, having a satisfying job, and building new relationships. After a year of moving from one location to the next, I'm ready to stay put in a single home.

Unfortunately, I don't get to stay anywhere for long. First the summer, then graduation, then who knows! All I know is that I want to go home, wherever that is, and stay there for a really long time. Until then, however, I'm going to have to keep settling down in various places. That probably includes redefining my idea of what I can do in a short term place... Even though I want nothing else to disengage until I can find a new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment