Monday, July 28, 2014

Tradition

One of my good friends just wrote a piece on tradition and its value vs. technology (http://savannahcordry.wordpress.com/2014/07/26/tradition/). It's one of my favourite paradoxes to consider, so I thought I'd continue the conversation here, but with a more limited scope: the church. This is one of the places that is both helped the most by tradition, and yet so hindered by it.

First, I should note that I hate parts of tradition. Women should be allowed to speak, dress, and act as they please. Men should be allowed to express their emotions, give hugs, and dislike sports without judgment. Christians have fervently upheld many of the traditions that trap both men and women in little boxes based on sex, refusing to allow their unique talents flourish.

However, my favourite place to worship is in the grand cathedrals of Europe or Central America. Here you can feel the contradictions of Christians - servants and slaves built these beautiful buildings because their masters believed they were truly loving God. But then, there are the parts made by the master craftsmen. The places with such detail and beauty, you glimpse a bit of heaven. In these traditions, in these holy places, you can glimpse the wider world of Christianity and all it has encompassed over the centuries. Whatever your thoughts on Christians, our history is not something to be dismissed lightly.

Similarly, tradition brings us closer together, while tearing us apart. Belief in the cross holds us together, until some break with tradition as others cling tight. Tradition cannot be the end or the beginning of our faith, but in many ways it feels like the glue that holds us together. I want to weave the central part of tradition into my life, but reject the parts that disrespect and hate others. Not only do I want to learn from tradition, I want to actively use it to shape my life and use the wisdom (or mistakes) of others before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment