Friday, June 13, 2014

Bird Shop Tales

My friend requested that I write up little stories from my work, since I randomly stop and start my blog. So here's one:

There's a little 92-year old lady who comes into our shop about once a week and buys SO MUCH SEED. But only in the 5 lb bags, because she is so tiny she can't lift the 10 lb or 20 lb bags. By tiny I mean under 5 feet and thin - in many ways this lady resembles the sparrows she feeds.

Last week, she wandered into the store, bought seed, and then asked for my help out with all the bags. As we went to her car, I learned about her husband and the hole his death had left in her life about 15 years ago. The birds were her hobby and her company these days, apparently, giving her something to watch and nurture and enjoy. It made me think about all the things we fill our lives with and how little we appreciate the people that take up so much of our time. When they're gone, what do we end up having left? Is it good or bad to use something as "simple" as birdfeeding to bridge some of the gap absences create?

It's different for everyone, I'm sure, but it challenges me to live my life in a way that will allow me to find contentment in every stage. Even if my life centers on feeding birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment