Sunday, February 3, 2013

Only in Oxford

Oxford has the strangest set of first world problems I have ever encountered. So while this post is a rant, it is also a testimony to the ironies I encounter in daily life:

1. Bells ringing while you are trying to study. For an entire hour. I have no idea why or where, but it is so much less romantic than I would have imagined and makes it surprisingly difficult to concentrate.

2. Using "the tower" as a meeting place can generate confusion. Because there are two. Within the same block. Who would have thought? Not me!

3. Eggs are much more expensive because they are free range. They have such a greater respect for animals here that consumers will pay twice as much for eggs.

4. I bought an electric kettle because I decided I was too lazy to walk down the stairs to get tea. Tea is more than just a drink here, it is a culture. That's not a problem though, it's a blessing.

5. The library I study in is so fancy it intimidates me. Beautiful libraries are just not the same in real life...

6. Lovely cobblestone area around the library makes it hard to walk or bike.

7. Confronted with the moral choice of buying the cheap chocolate bar or the slightly less cheap one that was rainforest-sustainable. I bought the more expensive one. So proud of myself, which is just a tiny bit silly.

Those are the odd little conundrums I find everyday. They are rarely particularly annoying, just very different than I expected. Oxford keeps surprising me and I love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment