Friday, January 30, 2015

Settling In

This week has been quite an adventure, both good and bad. Luckily for me, I've had a lovely week, though the base has been in chaos with two volunteers going to the hospital. All is well, but one man almost died of a heart attack, which shook all of us up quite a bit. He's up and walking around already, which is amazing given his condition, and we are all extremely grateful.

Other more interesting adventures include attempting to learn to dance latino style. I fail. What are hips and how do you move them?

My first real football match! They whistle instead of booing, which is hilarious. Also, I didn't get a good picture, but there was a section of the stands that spent the entire game jumping around and chanting. That's an hour and a half of dedicated cheering. Ohmygoodness, so much noise. The local team, Saprissa, won and watching the crowd celebrate a goal was definitely the highlight of the night. The mascot is a purple monster and I have no idea why.

The stadium in San Jose

And the goats have finally decided they like my friend and I milking them, mostly because we have gotten much more efficient. Goats and chickens are highly amusing to me, but finicky enough that I am content not to be dependent on them for my livelihood. My respect for farmers and ranchers is growing by the minute.

Milking Vanilla - definitely my favourite goat. It's actually pretty fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment