Monday, September 5, 2016

Friends and First-Graders

So, I am back in Latin America! I've been in Costa Rica for two weeks and in a week I leave for Nicaragua. I should be home in early December. 

So, what am I doing here?

First I traveled with my best friend from college. Beaches and forest and monkeys and ants and math and sand castles and buses and dancing and fun and dresses and yay. Not only did I get to have her around for ten whole days, I got to be a tourist in Costa Rica for the first time. It was perfectly wonderful.

Now, I am staying a YWAM buddy and working with an organization called Transforma. It's program that gives local women the opportunity to develop skills and start their own business through classes and mircofinancing. One of my friends is a full time volunteer, so I'm learning about the ministry and supporting her for about a week. If you want more information, check out their facebook page: just search Transforma, Costa Rica. (Really, do that. I spend like all morning helping translate fb statuses. It was fun. And the group is awesome).

Next is Nicaragua, where I will working Esperanza Granada and living with a local family. The organization supports teachers both with English classes and with homework help (I'm hoping to work with first graders). They also do a number of other things in the community. More on that to come as I understand it and experience it for myself. Here's a link to the website, if you're curious: http://www.la-esperanza-granada.org/. Between my host family and the kids, I expect to know a great deal more Spanish when I get home. No speaking English for me, thanks.

Then it is home for Christmas. And time to plan where I'm going next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment